Quite possibly the coolest protest song ever (and yes, there is an awful lot of competition for that status). Sade is as great in live performance as she is on the record. And she is note-perfect here.
Crappy weekend, everyone! Yes, I know, it’s a little too early for holiday shit. Actually, it’s a LOT too early. But since it’s already happening, we may as well get this shit out of the way. And while we’re at it, let’s also get these shits out of the way, in no particular order:
1. Joshua Fucking Feuerstein. Yup, that’s right, the hate-preacher who started the whole non-issue about Starbucks and its minimalistic, non-Jesusy holiday coffee cups. He also thinks “Merry Christmas” is being censored (it’s not) and totes his gun where it doesn’t fucking belong (namely, EVERYWHERE). How does someone so obviously stupid get a million followers, anyway? The obvious answer, of course, is that there really are at least that many people stupider than him…and that’s really saying something. Next time he or one of his idiot followers asks the barista to write “Merry Christmas” on the cup as their name, I hope the barista adds “…you filthy animal”. And shouts it out loud like the gangster from the Home Alone movie, too. PS: Aaand looky here. He’s a fraud! A professional scam artist. How about that? PPS: And he doubled down — briefly — with a double-double-dumb video that he pulled later. Probably because it would have required him to admit that he, too, had partaken of Starbucks’ bitter, bitter “abortion coffee” when he pulled his idiotic “Merry Christmas” stunt. And paid them to donate to Planned Parenthood. Ha, ha.
2. Art Fucking Acevedo. Cops don’t deserve thanks or praise or awards for not raping people they stop on the street. In fact, they don’t deserve any special recognition for that at all. And it’s not particularly praiseworthy to just grab random women while they’re out jogging, either.
3. Scott Fucking Walker. Fiscal conservatism just ain’t all it’s cracked up to be…and Scotty is now finding it out the hard way. Ha, ha.
4. Ben Fucking Carson. And the wanks just keep coming! This week, ol’ Ben opined that addiction is down to a lack of “values and principles”. Maybe he’s onto something, because the next wanker on the list knows a thing or two about that.
5. Donald Fucking Trump. What’s his addiction, you ask? Money, trophy wives, and general boorishness. Values and principles: He no haz them.
6. Fievel Fucking Kan. And speaking of a lack of values and principles, how about this TO cop? He actually ticketed people for existing while mentally ill, homeless and vulnerable on the big city’s streets. Even worse, he did it all for points on his performance report. Too bad he compounded all the offences by not turning his dashcam on to prove that he was doing so justifiably, eh?
7. Matt Fucking Bevin. Fresh off a (probably stolen) election, and already he’s hit the ground wanking. Isn’t that just so like a teabagger? Yeah, he actually claimed that the Founding Fathers were into cockfighting and dogfighting. They were? News to me.
8. Michele Fucking Bachmann. And speaking of teabags, how about her? Nope, she hasn’t shuffled off into the sunset yet. No matter how many times the public gives her the hint, the Breeder just won’t take it. At this rate, nothing short of a lightning strike from God will do.
9. Kim Fucking Davis. And just to round out the unholy trinity of teabags, let’s pause now to reflect on this one…and thank her for pointing out, however obliquely, that religious exemptions from doing one’s job are just a really REALLY fucking bad idea. Her bullshit has now caused even conservatives to see the light. Hallelujah!
10. Adam Fucking McManus. Talk about your historical ignoranuses, how about him? The reason the Germans were silent about the Holocaust is because most of them had no fucking clue while it was going on! Yeah, that’s right, even those who lived just down the road from a death camp were told it was a sugar-beet syrup factory, and that that awful smell was the smell of cooking sugar-beet syrup. And yes, since they couldn’t see what was really going on in there, of course they had to take the lying bastards’ word for it. Is it really so shocking to find THAT out? Oh, and by the way, same-sex marriage is NOTHING like the Holocaust, either. Hitler hated gay people too, remember?
11. Kevin Fucking Swanson. And speaking of Nazis who hate LGBT folk: “Repent” of liking some movies based on fiction? Which even the smallest kids KNOW are fiction? Otherwise, God will have to “apologize for Sodom and Gomorrah”? Uh, preacher…aren’t you forgetting that those cities weren’t destroyed over homosexuality, but over their xenophobia and inhospitable behavior to strangers? Talk about not knowing your scriptures…
12. Tom Fucking Cotton. And again with the lack of values and principles! How the hell do people on old-age and disability pensions — which is what Social Security benefits are in the US — cause an upswing in heroin addiction? Hell if I know. But he seems to think they somehow do.
13. Rafael Fucking Cruz. Surprise! Ted Fucking Cruz’s wackaloon father wasn’t the great swashbuckling anti-Batista rebel he likes to claim he was. His own buddies from back in the day all describe him as a wannabe. Which, I guess, is a polite Cuban way of saying he’s a fucking liar.
14. Brandon Fucking Dorner. And speaking of wannabes, it was Amateur Night at LSU the other day. And this guy decided to teach the audience how to be a failed pickup artist. The fact that the audience was half female was apparently lost on him. Aaaaand that’s why he’s now a failed aspiring stand-up comedian, too.
15. Lori Fucking Sheppard. Surprise! The old wives’ tale about bourbon on a baby’s gums is a lie. So is the not-quite-so-old wives tale about bourbon in a baby’s bottle. Yup, Arkansas Woman is really giving Florida Man a run for his money! And her kid is lucky to have survived…and luckier still to be out of her house until further notice.
16. Richard Fucking Brittain. Oh no, him again? Oh yes. Him again. Last time we saw him, he was issuing an abject apology for stalking a woman who didn’t want to be in a relationship with him. And now, what’s he made the news for? Yup…stalking again. And this time, it wasn’t the object of his blighted affections, but a teenage critic of the awful-sounding fantasy novel he wrote about the object of his blighted affections. He travelled all the way to Scotland just to bottle the poor kid. I’m sensing a pattern here, how about you?
17. Rod Fucking Covlin. I’m kind of reluctant to list him as a wanker, as he is also quite likely a killer…but really, selling his (barely) teenage daughter as a mail-order bride in Mexico, just so he could “inherit” all of his estranged wife’s worldly wealth after he drowned her in a bathtub? This guy isn’t just a failed stockbroker, he’s also a failed criminal who’s failing at everything for a reason. Legal marriage age, in Mexico, is 18, as it is in most of the world; with parental consent, it’s still no less than 14. His daughter is, as of this writing, only 13. And in any case, she’d still inherit her mother’s estate, because marriage would not debar her from being an heir.
18. Bristol Fucking Palin. So, the whole kerfuffle over Starbucks cups was dreamt up by “liberals” to make fundies look like idiots? Huh. Last I looked, they didn’t need any help in that department.
19. Sarah Fucking Palin. Like daughter, like mother — the two Palinesses share the same stoopid. So cute that they’re a matching set! But really: “Protecting the Heart of Christmas”? Hey idiot — ur doin it rong.
20. Kurt Fucking Schaefer. Thou shalt not commit sociology, saith the bozo. Scientific studies violate the Sanctity of Life, don’tcha know?
21. John Fucking Key. Yup, nothing says “concern for the well-being of rape survivors” like having a bunch of them thrown out of your parliament — where they are MPs — for daring to bring up their own sexual assaults. Objectively pro-rape much, yourself?
22 and 23. Robert C. Fucking Doyle and Ronald Beasley Fucking Chaney III. Funny how all these representatives of the so-called Master Race all look like their family tree is missing several branches. Or like their gene pool got pooped in. Or like their mothers couldn’t outrun their brothers. Or like…well, nothing like the handsome Vikings of old, that’s for damn sure. Funnier still, their moronic looks don’t lie; their behavior is a perfect moronic match.
24. Fred Fucking Wortman. Dude goes to jail for trying to kill his wife (who’s trying to divorce him after finding out he cheated). What does he turn around and do? Try to hire a hitman, from inside the jailhouse, to kill her again! And just think, people, this one’s an attorney! He can’t even claim ignorance of the law as an excuse (although, it being Tennessee, it’s certainly possible that he’d try). And now he’s apologized for that, but who knows — he might try to kill her again when nobody’s looking. If only all those meddling kids wouldn’t keep foiling his fiendish plans…
25. Erick Fucking Erickson. I guess I could explain all the ways in which a trans woman is NOT a man, much less a “mentally ill pervert”, and how letting her use the washroom appropriate to her gender (female) isn’t a crime, and it isn’t an invitation to sexual assault, and how it would actually protect her from sexual assault by actual men, and all that. But it would be lost on him. As the old Sicilian saying goes, washing a jackass’s head is a waste of water.
26. David Fucking Welch. And once more, with feeling: Jackass, head, waste of water.
27. Jackie Fucking Burns. Well, well. Look who got caught short by Karma! See what happens when you vote to close public toilets to save money? You get arrested, and fined 40 quid for peeing in public. Congratulations, Mr. Burns, the world is now your loo! And if Karma is feeling truly generous, you might even get some on your shoe. Ha, ha.
28. Scott Fucking Johansen. Meanwhile, in Utah, someone isn’t up on the latest research. You know, the stuff that shows how children of same-sex couples are actually happy and well-adjusted, sometimes even more so than their opposite-sex-parented peers? Yeah, that stuff. Also, with same-sex marriage being legal now in all 50 states, Hizzoner has no legal legs left to stand on. Little wonder, then, that he chose to go with his own religious prejudices instead.
28 and 29. Hunter Fucking Park and Connor Fucking Stottlemyre. Yeah, surprise, guys: Anonymous threats over the Internet aren’t so anonymous after all. Why do you think IP addresses are logged, anyway? And congrats, both of you, on making white males in Missouri look like violent, racist fucking idiots. And also, unoriginal. Feel proud!
30. Moti Fucking Yogev. Oh, so the family members of Palestinian “terrorists” should be imprisoned to deter…what exactly? They already ARE imprisoned…in the world’s largest open-air prison camps in Gaza and the West Bank. How about we start imprisoning Israeli terrorists instead? It’s not like there’s any shortage of THEM running around loose, firing everything from live ammunition (especially good ol’ illegal Whisky Pete) to stinking raw sewage at Palestine…
31. Robin Fucking Camp. Funny how certain foreigners are bad (because not white) but this white south-African guy, though criminally incompetent, somehow got fast-tracked not only through immigration, but into an entire fucking career as a judge here in Canada. And what does he do with his grand and glorious achievement? Basically, tells women who got raped in bathrooms (by men who didn’t bother to dress up in drag) that they should have kept their knees together…among other grotesque inanities.
32. Jared Fucking Woodfill. Keep the transwomen out of public women’s washrooms, he said. So they won’t attack women, he said. Because they’re really men, he said. So what does he do when he’s not busy saying idiotic things about shit that hasn’t ever happened? He’s defending a man in court…for spying on women. In a bathroom.
33. Kevin Fucking Swanson. Well, I guess we know who’s still living like the Eighties never ended, eh? This guy! He still thinks AIDS only happens to gay people, and that it’s not controllable with drugs. Boy howdy, will he be in for a shock if this AIDS vaccine proves effective! And he says he’ll smear himself with shit if his son ever turns out to be gay? Newsflash, preacher…you’re already a big fat turd. Why be redundant?
34. David Fucking Vitter. Once more, Diapers proves that he’s not a kinkster, but a downright pervert. Why else would he constantly let his sexual fantasies leak out from under his Freudian slip?
35. Megyn Fucking Kelly. Accepting trans kids at school would cause “confusion”? Only in those who’ve never met one. And in chronic, pathological idiots who are easily confused, like FUX Snooze “journalists”, of course.
And finally, to all the monstrous, moronic fucking Conservatives who just couldn’t resist the opportunity to stir the shit that the Paris terror attacks presented. Good thing you’re all effectively neutered for the next five years. You can bark, but your yapping will have no bite behind it. We’re going to be taking in Syrian refugees (and being good neighbours!), and if the Trudizzle is as smart as he’s showing signs of, we’ll stay the hell out of this damn war that you, the Mossad, and Daesh are cooking up between your evil, EVIL selves.
Good night, and get fucked!
“If you want to know about the risks and side effects of Nazi uprisings, read a history book or ask your grandparents.”
A little good news out of Germany this morning:
Berlin state police executed ten judicial search warrants on Thursday morning. The action was particularly directed against right-wing hate propaganda on social networks.
The searches, which involved about 60 police officers, took place in homes and buildings in the Berlin districts of Buch, Niederschöneweide, Bohnsdorf, Marzahn, Hellersdorf, Hohenschönhausen, Kreuzberg, Reinickendof and Friedenau.
During the raids, police confiscated various Internet-capable devices, such as smartphones and computers. The investigation is still ongoing. The devices in question will be investigated thoroughly by the state prosecutor’s office.
According to police, the state authorities are dealing with persons who have made right-wing commentaries in social networks against refugees, asylum seekers or other minorities. Sentences will include fines and imprisonment.
Berlin senator Frank Henkel praised the police: “We won’t look away when there’s hate-mongering or racist propaganda on the Internet. Police and the state prosecutor’s office are dealing consequently against hate messages,” said the senator, according to the Berliner Tagesspiegel. But at the same time, the operators of social networks should act more decisively against anti-human propaganda.
If you think a 60-officer raid on some mere “free speech” sounds heavy-handed, consider this: Germans know all too well what leaving racist and fascist hate unchecked can do to their country. Nearly 100 years ago, they failed to act on it in a timely manner. “Free speech” became the bellowings of one brain-addled man, thinking he was the entire German state. And once he’d whipped up a frenzy against the leftists, he turned his eye on the “foreigners” — and against any German who dissented. It took nothing less than a global war to stop him. And after the war, all the trappings of Nazism, right down to hateful speech, became illegal. For good reason.
Germany can’t afford to have one more Hitler, never mind bands of wannabes. Better police raids against neo-Nazis today than another Gestapo tomorrow.
Yup, we’re dealing with technical troubles again here. My brother yesterday informed me that the comments weren’t working, and that an error in the theme was the problem. My old theme hasn’t been updated in a while, and as it happens, there are no updates available for it. So I’ll be switching themes soon, and this place will have not only a new look, but (I hope) will also be glitch-free. Keep your fingers, toes, arms, legs, and eyes crossed for me, folks…
It’s Remembrance Day again, and I’m not out there in the rain with the others, saluting at the cenotaph. I’m not out there listening to the Last Post, the moment of silence, and then the forlorn reveille. I’m not even hiding behind the screen of my computer, thanking veterans for their “service”. It isn’t my place to do so.
I guess, given my family history, that’s to be expected. I’m German, not Anglo. “My” side lost the last war it fought in. And the one before that, too. There is no proud military tradition in my family, and like most Germans, we scoff at the very notion. After all, ours is a history of conscription. “Tradition”? That might be for upper-class families, who could afford to send their sons into officer training, and so spare them the worst ravages of the battle front (officers invariably “lead” their troops from well behind the frontlines.) The rich and high-born can afford to prance about in gold-braided uniforms, and boast of their exploits. Common soldiers, which both my grandfathers were, could not. (Well, there was one great-grandfather, on my mother’s side, who was a hussar in the Austro-Hungarian army, and who prided himself and his mustache immensely on that, but that was before the turn of the last century. I don’t think it really counts for much. If he lived to brag about it, he probably didn’t see any heavy action. There were an awful lot of peacocks in that regiment.)
So there you have it. Nothing to boast of, no heroics to remember. What I do know of my family’s World War II history is either heavily ironic, or just plain sad. There aren’t many stories of my grandfathers’ glorious wartime adventures (because they didn’t have any), and most of what I know didn’t come from them. They didn’t like to talk about it; that, I found out, is a common thing for soldiers who’ve actually seen combat, or in the case of my paternal grandfather, fled it when it became obvious that their side was losing.
Opa was a teamster for the Kriegsmarine, driving horse-drawn supply wagons. He’d been conscripted while still in hospital for surgery on his foot (he’d had polio as a child, and the foot was deformed as a result). If he didn’t “volunteer” to go to the western front, he’d be sent to Siberia, so his “choice” was clear. He’d drive supply wagons for the German navy until there was no longer any point to his doing so…and by 1945, when that happened, there no longer was. When he heard that the British front was passing through, he let the horses run, and simply walked home. During one bombing raid, he hid in a manure pile on a farm. The farmer, who had seen him take refuge in the only place he could, gave him fresh civilian clothes when the raid was over, and he was off on his way. He saw truckloads of his former comrades go by, taken prisoner, while he, limping and in civvies, picked up cigarette butts from the roadside to stave off his ever-present nicotine demon. He was never caught, and the one time he was menaced by a group of Russian escapees, he managed to convince them he was not a soldier — by showing them his kaputt foot! And that was how he got home to his wife and four children: by deserting, ducking, dodging, lying…and occasionally, landing in deep shit.
So much for irony. Now for sadness:
My other grandfather arguably had it even worse. In 1944, the Russians overran Yugoslavia, where my mother’s family had lived for over 200 years. Suddenly, the whole family were refugees. “Fortunately” (and there’s an additional layer of irony for you), my mother’s father was conscripted into the SS, and the family got a small measure of support that way. (Conscripted, mind you, NOT volunteered.) He certainly wasn’t an “Aryan” type; he had black hair, brown eyes, and an almost-olive complexion that tanned if he only stuck his head out the window on a sunny day. He also wasn’t a Nazi, either as a member of the party or by conviction. But he was tall, had prior military experience (three years’ compulsory service in the Yugoslav army during his late teens and early twenties), and spoke three languages fluently: German, Hungarian, and Serbian. Just what was needed in a POW-camp guard, which is what he became. He never fired a shot; he never had the slightest animosity toward the prisoners he guarded. He wasn’t an antisemite, and it is unknown whether any of “his” prisoners were even Jews. They were all prisoners of war, and his sole duty was to see to it that none of them got away. One time, a Hungarian prisoner asked him in German for a cigarette. When thanked, he replied “Don’t mention it” — in Hungarian. That’s the sort of person he was: he did his duty, but never to the point of hurting anyone. And he held no animosities, either.
But if anyone thinks he had a choice in the matter, there’s the story of what happened to my mother’s baby sister. Gerda was 11 months old when she died of malnutrition and dysentery in a refugee camp in Silesia. My grandfather was not allowed to visit her while she was sick, and was only relieved of duty when she had died. And then, he was offered the “choice” between a Lutheran pastor, or the Nazi camp commandant, as officiant at the funeral. My mother’s baby sister, the aunt I never knew, was buried in a tiny casket under a swastika flag. The “choice” was strictly pro forma, and anyone who didn’t want to come under questioning by the Gestapo would have “chosen” the same.
It was an ignominious time, when you ducked your head and didn’t make waves. And when the war finally ended, and it was time to demobilize, there was nowhere to report. So Opa and his comrades turned themselves over to the Brits, hoping they would just give them the necessary papers and let them go. Not a chance. They wound up (and here, again, is irony) at a POW camp in Scotland for the next three years. The work was hard and the food was crappy, but they weren’t badly treated. And it was during that time that he saw a tailless cat for the first time — a Manx, most likely — and wondered if there might in fact be some truth to that old tale that the Scots cut their cats’ tails off to save on heating everytime the cat went in or out. That was about all he had to say about that experience. I didn’t get to ask him anything else; he died before I had a chance.
If you wonder why I don’t glorify war or wartime service like everyone else, you can stop wondering now. There’s just nothing there to salute. And I’m not one for pulling the idiot stunt that Ronald Reagan did at Bitburg, either. Honestly, the best way to honor the dead — and the veterans who survived — is to retell their stories with an emphasis on peace. Tell how people suffered and died for capitalism, for imperialism, and for fascism, and not for noble causes.
And if you must march anymore, do it for peace, and use your gift of free speech to make sure no one else gets sent to war and tortured and killed for a whole lot of nothing.
And now, for something completely different:
I don’t know if this critic-guy would call himself a feminist, but he’s sure not doing a bad job of, you know, ACTUALLY BEING ONE in here. Making fun of “meninists” is a very nice touch, as are the Tom Hardy fangirls.
(Also, I love his theory of why the movie is a great chase film. Not to give away too much of the plot here, but yeah, I was a Road Runner cartoon fan, too.)